Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Web 2.0

The term Web 2.0 is a new one for me. I have learned that Web 2.0 is a term used in education circles to describe technology that is placed in the hands of the consumer and gives them full rights to the "authorship of online content." (Robyler & Doering, 2013, p. 225) Through  the personal creation of three Web 2.0 tools, I have found them to be incredible resources for the classroom.

My Animoto video was very easy to produce and introduces students to basic facts in an interesting way. I definitely recommend upgrading to the Pro version for more complex projects, but the 30 second version is sufficient for students who are just starting out with video production. The Pro version has a small cost associated with it, but it allows for more editing options and for longer videos. As I worked in Animoto, my wheels were spinning. The possibilities for classroom use are endless. Animotos can be used as presentation tools for students to research particular subjects. (Robyler & Doering, 2013, p. 185) Students can take pictures or shoot video of class content and upload them easily to create very professional looking projects. I believe this tool is a wonderful resource for teachers and students.















My Glogster, on the other hand, was fairly tricky to navigate. I probably spent way too much time on it, but I did learn all about this resource and the fun ways it allows students to create. I will make sure students have the proper resources before using Glogster in the classroom. Without a fast wifi connection and a newer computer, I can see how this site could frustrate students. It takes a while to load due to all of the graphics and images. On the other hand, I see this resource as a virtual scrapbook of sorts. I can see how it appeals to the creative student. It allows for self-expression and easily teaches the material on a given subject through the embedding of pictures, videos and texts. It is akin to the science project poster of my generation, but it is digital and a lot more interesting to create. I began following @GlogsterEDU on Twitter so I can see what's new with this resource in the coming months.


Twitter is a Web 2.0 resource that I have been using for quite some time, and yet did not realize how well it can be used as an education tool. This week, I found an article describing the use of Twitter as a personal learning network, which has been an eye-opening experience for me. I have used Twitter as a social media outlet for quite some time, but have not thought of it as a resource for educators. I created a separate Twitter account just for educational purposes and have found the home feed to be filled with useful information. Follow me @lathamllisa and we can learn together! I will explore the use of Twitter further in a subsequent post.

The last 2.0 resource I explored was VoiceThread. I really enjoyed using this tool, and wish I had spent more time exploring the options. Now that I know how to use it, I believe it will be very effective in teaching students detailed lessons. I see how it can be used with my piano students currently and I am already brainstorming ideas about how to use it in other areas as an "online lesson enhancement." (Robyler & Doering, 2013, p. 238) I didn't explore the use of the pointer, but watched it in a tutorial. I definitely will use that option the next time I create a VoiceThread. As a voice teacher, I can also easily use this tool to sing or play examples for my students to work on at home.


The only negative from this project is that I feel I can create more practical, useable lessons with the Web 2.0 tools than I did this week. There is definitely a learning curve. To me, it takes creating a project before knowing exactly how to best use these tools in the classroom. If I were to do this assignment over, I would pick a different topic and would use the tools differently. But overall, it has been a great introduction to what is out there for me to explore in my teaching. Today's students are downloading images, writing html code, authoring web-based lessons and tutorials, and much more. (Robyler & Doering, 2013) My take-away is that a whole new world has opened up for teachers in the way of technology in the classroom and I need to stay on my game and keep up with the times!



References 

Roblyer, M.D., & Doering, A.H. (2013). Integrating educational technology into                    education. (Sixth ed.) Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.





3 comments:

  1. Great job of explaining the 2.0 resources you make great points about speed on internet with glogster I noticed the same problem when I tried to bring it up at a relatives house where the internet is not as fast. I think you made a great point about the learning curves with these options definite room for improvement second time around, I know for myself I never did figure all the different types of text available on glogster. Really like your videos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made great uses of the resources! I like your ideas about how you would use voicethread in the future. I also enjoyed watching the voicethread that you did make. I definitely see myself using this tool in my class and even making videos for students who missed a class lecture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,
    I agree that web 2.0 tools are great resources for people who want to author their own material (Robyler & Doering, 2013, p. 225). Also, the use of web 2.0 tools, are excellent ways to keep students motivated ( p. 176). Additionally, web 2.0 tools are great ways for teachers to communicate with their students. Now that K-12 schools are using more online learning, it is important that teachers continue to learn new technology (p. 214).
    Reference:
    Roblyer, M .D. & Doering, A.H. (2012). Integrating Educational
    Teaching Technology into Teaching(6th ed.).Boston,MA: Pearson


    ReplyDelete