Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Reflections on Twitter

I love Twitter. I have used it for several years and have a personal account- @lathamlisa, a work account- @HSBCChoir and an account for the non-profit I founded with a friend- @graceskitchen2. I never considered using Twitter as a network for education until ED 505. "A Personal Learning Network" as I now know to refer to it, is a very useful tool for educators seeking to develop professionally and stay abreast of current trends. You can follow my network of educators @lathamllisa.

One of my favorite people to follow is @edutopia. Here I find everything from articles on leadership to resources for the classroom. By using the hashtag #edchat, I am immediately connected with a plethora of information without ever leaving home to attend a workshop. Through #edchat, I discovered hashtags that benefited my area such as #ArtsEdChat, #edmusic, #musiced, #mustech, and #musedchat. Twitter also allows educators to have live discussions as #musedchat does on Mondays at 8:00 p.m. EST.

Another favorite follower is @cyndidannerkuhn. Cyndi, who is the editor of "Technology Keys Daily," always tweets when her online magazine is available, and offers helpful tools to use technology to teach and learn. @edudemic also keeps me posted on the latest in technology education and posts an online resource called "The Edudemic Daily."@ipadSammy has tips on using the ipad and other apps in the classroom and @WebNews20 offers technology tips for users outside the education world.

I plan to continue using Twitter to support my professional development and to learn from other educators around the globe. It is truly amazing how technology is shaping the world of education and how much information is accessible to us if we know where to look.

4 comments:

  1. Lisa,
    I agree that twitter is a personal learning structure. I know that I will continue to use it for professional development. Additionally, I will use it to help my student develop, too. Also, I will follow your network of educators @LATHAMLLISA; thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too had never thought about using twitter for educational purposes or really any capacity of professional networking. However, it amazed me just how much information was out there about the topics we covered in this class alone. I too followed iPadSammy. I look forward to continuing to use this tool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,
    You are much more comfortable with twitter than I am I hope to take the basis of what we learned in class and continue to learn to use twitter for personal and professional development.

    Ed Harris

    ReplyDelete