Sunday, June 30, 2013

Mobile Technologies

Today's teacher has numerous advantages when it comes to technology. Educational apps have increased in popularity and allow materials to go from classroom to home and back again with the click of a button. Options are increasing everyday. Today's students have the opportunity more than ever to link with "other people, other cultures, other points of view." (Robyler & Doering, 2013, p. 201)

If my own family is any reflection of popular culture, it tells me today's student uses a variety of mobile technology for personal use. In my family of five we own three iPhones, two iPads, four iPods, three iPod touches and three laptops. If families are using mobile technologies regularly, it only stands to reason that teachers should capitalize on that knowledge and use it for instruction. Colleges are beginning to teach courses on mobile technologies and challenging students to learn different uses for their different devices. Organization for students is easier than ever as apps take them from device to device, giving them access to their information wherever they are. The video below is extremely informative and gives practical ideas for both teachers and students.



In a middle school classroom, it is extremely difficult to monitor cell phone usage. Cell phones are constantly by a middle schooler's side and it is hard for them to detach themselves at school. While there is certainly a time for phones to be put away to minimize distraction, I like to use smartphones at times to ask students to look up information on the web. To me, it utilizes something they are comfortable with and increases interest. Also, many students have the "Notes" app on their iPhones or iPads. With the "Bring Your Own Device" (BOD) option our school system has implemented, students can take notes easily and remind themselves to complete daily tasks. Care does have to be taken to set ground rules so that students don't access inappropriate materials, (Robyler & Doering, 2013, p. 214) but to me the increased opportunities for learning outweigh most negative consequences.

"Music and technology have always had a unique relationship." (Robyler & Doering, 2013, p. 356) Notation and sequencing programs have opened up a new world for composers and studio musicians, and give music students the opportunity to see the fruits of their labors written down and performed.  I use Spotify and  iTunes daily in the classroom for playing and listening to musical examples, and my students use online music streaming such as Pandora.

Recently I have begun to use Evernote  for almost all of my writing, lesson plans and research. There are some great possibilities out there for using Evernote in the classroom and more options are constantly added. Evernote can go from iPhone to iPad to laptop and information can be accessed easily by simply logging in. Students can also use Evernote for journaling and note-taking  and can now save notes in Evernote to Dropbox, another of my favorite apps. Dropbox is a great way to send music home with students for rehearsal. Although we are not all there yet, I believe that Dropbox is the future of sending audio files home for rehearsal for choral events such as All-State, that require students to practice extra music on their own. I am already using this app to send rehearsal tracks to other teachers, replacing the rehearsal CD's of the past.

Although I have not used it much personally, itunes U is another great resource for students who are interested in accessing obscure information. This app literally puts the world at your fingertips by allowing students to study information teachers don't always get to cover in class. Podcasts and lectures on topics ranging from music theory to music history are available for listening and studying. itunes U also connects with ibooks to offer students the option of reading textbooks and other books on their mobile devices. ibooks stores a variety of reading materials on a virtual bookshelf for reading on iPads and iPhones wherever you are.

Mobile technologies "make it easier for teachers and students to view, communicate and share information, regardless of location." (Robyler & Doering, 2013, p. 11) They connect us with people all over the world who are learning and creating new ideas, and allow us a glimpse into the lives of those we only used to dream about. Today's students do not remember a world without mobile technology. I believe it is up to us to embrace the trends and learn all we can in order to best prepare today's student for life in this ever-expanding world.



References 

Roblyer, M.D., & Doering, A.H. (2013). Integrating educational technology into                    education. (Sixth ed.) Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.


3 comments:

  1. Lisa,
    I agree that teachers have many advantages with technology; however, they must determine the relative advantage first (Roblyer and Doering, 2013, p.203). Also, teachers must know how to use the technology before assigning students to use it (p. 203). For example, I notice your note app which is really great for middle school students, since note taking is a challenge for most of these students. I am going to learn how to use this app because it will help my students for note taking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,
    I know my son's school has started BYOD (Bring your own device) also, it is amazing how quick things a few years ago my daughter was hiding her cell phone in her bag all day and we told only use it in a emergency. Now they can use them in class! I think it is scary, however, for the students that want to learn I think we have to embrace the technology and use it to the full extent like you suggest(from note taking to research). I have not look through you entire video, however, can see some things I can learn from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW at the amount of technology in your family! I think the BYOD is very interesting! I cringe when my students ask me if its OK to look something up using their phone, but most times I agree to it. Currently our students are only allowed to keep their phones or any other electronic devices in their lockers or cars. I see how it can be useful as well as a distraction.

    ReplyDelete